Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Swami Vivekananda on God and Religion

Hello Friends,

Welcome to Anbusivam’s blog page.

I wanted to write my thoughts on God and Religion. I've been into this spiritual quest of understanding what is God? who is the creator? is he really sitting up above the clouds in a place called heavens? what is the need of prayer?........these questions goes on and on......!!!

Yes, sometime I get some answers but more often nothing but confusion remains. Being an engineering student, I always tend to look for logical answers than a conclusion that is merely based on faiths. Okie, I'll spend some good time to put down my own thoughts and understandings in one of my next posts.

For now, I've some thoughts from the Great Hindu Monk of all times Swami Vivekananda here:

"Many years ago, I visited a great sage of our own country, a very holy man. we talked of our revealed books, the Vedas, of Bible, of Koran and of revealed books in general. At the close of the talk, this good man asked me to go to the table and take up a book; it was a book which among other things, contained a forecast of the rainfall during the year. The sage said "Read That". And I read out the quantity of rain that was to fall. He said, "Now take the book and squeeze it". I did so and he said "Why, my boy, not a drop of water comes out. Until the water comes out, its all book, So until your religion makes you realise God, it is useless".

"A man may believe in all the churches in the world, he may carry in his head all the sacred books ever written, he may baptise himself in all the rivers og the earth, still if he hasno perception of God, I would class him with the rankest atheist. And a man may have never entered a church or a mosque, nor he performed any ceremony, but if he feels God within himself and is thereby lifted above the vanities of the world, that man is holy man, a saint".

You are most welcome to share your thoughts on the above passage.

Thanks for visiting my page.

With Love
Anbusivam

10 comments:

free333 said...

A pure heart sees beyond the intellect.
religionsv.blogspot.com//
Sayings of Swami Vivekananda----Audio
http://vivaudio.blogspot.com/

bepurebebrave.blogspot.com/
religionsv.blogspot.com//
practisetheideal.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hey free333, thanks for visiting my page.

Sankri said...

Greetings,
Swami Vivekananda is a great saint and he walked his talk.

“EACH soul is potentially Divine. The goal is to manifest this Divinity with in by controlling nature, external and internal. Do this either by work or worship or psychic control or philosophy- by one or more all of these- and be free. This is whole of RELIGION.”
Swami Vivekannda

Unknown said...

Thank You Sankari for visiting my blog and giving your comment.

ybr (alias ybrao a donkey) said...

If you do not get hurt if something not very much pleasing about Vivekananda is said with proof from his Complete Works, you may please read: 200 posts on Swami Vivekananda with evidence from his Complete Works .

Unknown said...

Dear truthseeker,

I think you are on the right path of truthseeking. Enjoy and have fun in your excellent journey. I think the message conveyed is more important than the messenger him/herself. Take the good and leave the rest. If nothing seems to be good and useful here, go search somewhere else.

By the way thanks for visiting my page.

-Anbusivam

Ratnadeep said...

I really look up to people like Ramkrishna Paramhamsa, Swami Vivekananda for motivational quotes and thoughts related to God. They preached all the religions are true like rivers as all of them lead to the same goal called sea i.e. God.

Unknown said...

Thank you Ratnadeep. Thanks for visiting.

ybr (alias ybrao a donkey) said...

I am sad that you have fallen in a Vivekananda trap, like Alasinga Mudaliar, the first South Indian disciple of Swami Vivekananda. Alasinga did yeomen service and yet received only brickbats from Vivekananda. India is very rich in people who fall prey to empty preachings. I empathise and pity you. Truth is like fire. Advertising and publicity by mat`hs can cover up for sometime. If a person is to develop intellectually and become a pure heart, there will be no need for a crutch like Swami Vivekananda. If you have a desire to search for truth, then I request you to study the Complete Works of Vivekananda thoroughly, particularly on the facts and issues raised by me at my blog. I only wish that you should read everything in depth before propagating.
I shall not annoy you by writing comments here again and again.

Unknown said...

Dear Truthseeker,

Thanks again for visiting my page and thanks a lot for your comments too. It's indeed to happy to more from your blog.

But, as I said....I want to be a real truthseeker rather than passing judgements on people. I would really look into the thoughts that's been said instead of wasting time, digging the background of the person who says that. I would have obviously posted this article even if some one else had said this, doesn't matter.

Anyway thank you.

Cheers,
Siva