Saturday, May 16, 2009

Quotes from Heraclitus

Hello Friends,

Welcome to Anbusivam's Blog Page.

Reading my earlier post on Change, one of my good friends with whom I used to work some five years ago introduced me to Heraclitus. Heraclitus(535BC - 475BC) a Greek philosopher, known for his doctrine of change being central to the universe.

I found his quotes greatly though provoking, and I am really amazed by the relevance of each and every word said even now at present. Here are some of them,

The one I liked the most is:
Good character is not formed in a week or a month. It is created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good character.
The one my friend liked the most is:
If you do not expect the unexpected you will not find it, for it is not to be reached by search or trial. If we do not expect the unexpected, we will never find it.
And some of them are:
Character is destiny.
Nothing endures but change.
This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire, kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures.
You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
The road up and the road down is one and the same.
Even sleepers are workers and collaborators on what goes on in the universe.
Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony.

Thanks for visiting my page.

With Love,
Anbusivam

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Heraclitus is quite an interesting guy. I find your choice of quotes to be thought provoking. I like his quote "Much learning does not teach understanding."
Just wanted to add another quote to your collection. Take care

Unknown said...

Thanks Sudhaa....for your comments.